Burns and Scalds: Prevention

What are burns and scalds?

A burn is damage to body tissues caused by sunlight, heat, flame, electricity, friction, or chemicals. A scald is a burn caused by hot water or steam. Many burns and scalds happen in the home, and many can be prevented.

How can burns and scalds be prevented?

  • Keep your water heater setting no higher than 120°F (49°C).
  • Keep pot handles turned away from the stove front. Don’t wear loose sleeves around a stove.
  • Keep fire extinguishers in the kitchen and near any fireplaces. Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.
  • Never leave a child alone in the bathroom or kitchen. Don’t carry hot liquids or food near children and don’t allow children near stoves, hot oven doors, hot barbecue grills, heaters, hair dryers, or curling irons.
  • Use childproof covers on electrical outlets to prevent electrical burns or severe electrical shocks.
  • Avoid having loose, exposed electric wires. Avoid letting electrical cords dangle from appliances such as toasters, coffee pots, and hair dryers. Make sure electrical cords are not frayed. Don’t overload extension cords or power strips.
  • Use portable heaters with caution. Keep children as well as bedding, clothing, curtains, and other materials at least 3 feet away from space heaters. Turn off a portable heater every time you leave the room or go to sleep.
  • Don’t leave household chemicals where they can be knocked over, spilled, or tasted by curious toddlers. Be sure all containers are properly labeled and have secure lids. Never put a household chemical in a different container such as a cup, glass, juice container, or water bottle.
  • Don’t smoke in bed. Never leave a burning cigarette unattended. Keep ashtrays away from furniture, clothing, and curtains. Never empty smoldering or recently used ashtrays or ashes into a trash can. Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
  • Never leave a burning candle or fireplace or woodstove fire unattended. Keep candles away from bedding, curtains, paper, or other materials that can catch fire.
  • Keep fireplaces, woodstoves and chimneys clean and repaired. Each fireplace should have a fire screen.
  • Install smoke detectors on each level of your home and in every bedroom. Test the alarms monthly and replace batteries every 12 months.
  • Have an escape plan in case of fire in your home. Keep a charged fire extinguisher within easy reach on each level of your home. Know how to use it.
  • When you are outdoors, always use a sunscreen with an SPF (sun protection factor) of 15 or higher and wear protective clothing. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB rays. It’s best to put the sunscreen on your skin 30 to 60 minutes before you go out into the sun. Put more on as often as directed on the label. Avoid being out in the sun for a long time, especially in the late morning and early afternoon.
  • Wear protective clothing, including goggles, when working with chemicals and follow the label instructions.
Developed by RelayHealth.
Adult Advisor 2015.1 published by RelayHealth.
Last modified: 2014-06-02
Last reviewed: 2014-06-02
This content is reviewed periodically and is subject to change as new health information becomes available. The information is intended to inform and educate and is not a replacement for medical evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional.
Copyright ©1986-2015 McKesson Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries. All rights reserved.

Patient Portal

Our Patient Portal provides safe and secure online access to better communicate with your Tufts Medical Center Community Care doctor. This easy-to-use web tool is a convenient way to book appointments, request referrals, renew prescriptions, view medical records/test results and communicate with your healthcare provider from the privacy of your own computer.

PATIENT PORTAL >